Ten ways to recognize hearing loss
Do you know the early signs of hearing loss? According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), you have 10 ways to recognize hearing loss:
- Do you have a problem hearing over the telephone?
- Do you have trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking at the same time?
- Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
- Do you have to strain to understand conversations?
- Do you have trouble hearing in a noisy background?
- Do you find yourself asking people to repeat themselves?
- Do many people you talk to seem to mumble (or not speak clearly)?
- Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
- Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
- Do people get annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
If you answered “yes” to three or more of these questions, you may want to see an audiologist for a hearing evaluation.