Five simple steps for better hearing
Did you know small changes can go a long way in maintaining better hearing? Here are five simple tips to keep your hearing in tip-top shape.
1. Protect yourself by wearing earplugs or earmuffs when engaging in loud activities, such as concerts, operating machinery, etc.
2. Turn down the volume when watching TV, listening to the radio or wearing headphones. If the person next to you can hear music coming from your headphones, they’re too loud for your ears.
3. Give your ears a break. If you work in a noisy setting, make sure you take time each day to find a quiet place. It’s not always the volume that damages hearing – it can be the duration of exposure, too.
4. Avoid cotton swabs or like objects. Sticking these small items into your ears can cause wax to build up in the ear canal and actually block sound. Not to mention, you run the risk of accidentally injuring your ear drum by going too deep into the canal.
5. Get your hearing checked. An annual check-up can help identify hearing loss early so you can take steps to protect yourself against further loss.